Perform work requiring an intermediate degree of skill in connection with maintenance, repair, renewal, and installation of electrical and mechanical equipment; engage in routine and abnormal operating duties of assigned equipment and areas, including inspection of remote locations; assist associates of higher classification in performing various types of work; and participate in required training programs. Responsible to provide reliable and efficient electric power generation in accordance with corporate safety policies and procedures, compliance with Electric Reliability Organization, NERC, SERC, Reliability Standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Monitor dams, reservoirs, diesel generators, telecommunications equipment, transformers, motor control centers, battery chargers, auxiliaries, and common facilities’ equipment performance by checking station recordings and indications instruments, gauges and meters; records temperatures, pressures, flows and other process variables; and makes the necessary adjustments and repairs.
- Operates equipment associated with dams, reservoirs, diesel generators, telecommunications equipment, auxiliaries, and common facilities in accordance with Oglethorpe Power Corporation, the Rocky Mountain Plant, standard operating procedures that include start-up, shutdown, normal operation, emergency, and abnormal conditions. Inspection and operation of equipment controls requires the discernment of colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Inspect equipment in assigned area of responsibility for proper operation and lubrication, being alert for unusual sounds, odors, and other indications of faulty operation, and all abnormal conditions.
- Must complete the Auxiliary Operator training as prescribed in the Rocky Mountain Operations Training Program in the established timeframe and maintain Auxiliary Operator Certifications/Qualification as a condition of employment.
- Maintain work area and equipment in clean, orderly condition. Continually observe Oglethorpe Power Corporation safety rules and practices. Attend and participate in scheduled training and safety meetings.
- Perform operating maintenance when operating equipment including, but not limited to, valve packing adjustment, take oil samples, and the cleaning and inspection of screens, strainers, filters, and baskets. Performing operating maintenance could involve entrance into confine spaces along with the physical requirements necessitating the ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Lubricate equipment including, but not limited to valves, motor-bearing levels, pump bearing levels, sealed bearings, etc., used in connection with auxiliary equipment, as required.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Experience: This is an entry-level position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- For safety reasons, the ability to comprehend instruction from technical manuals, journals, technical literature, drawings, and other job related resource is required; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- Discernment of the colors, red, green, amber, and blue.
- Work in confined spaces and heights.
- Lift weights up to 75 pounds.
- Must pass the Basic Aptitude/Skills exam.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: Valid driver’s license, which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s Drivers Qualification Program.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.