This position is the corporation's primary technical and business lead of the Corporation’s investments in Plant Scherer Units One and Two and Plant Wansley Units One and Two. This position is responsible for managing the corporation's asset interest and on-site operating agent relationship with regard to an operating coal plant investment as it relates to safe, reliable, cost competitive energy generated and asset value maintained relative to contractual requirements and corporate expectations. This position assists in managing the Corporation’s financial, technical and business interests at the generating facilities for which s/he is responsible. The position is responsible in the day-to-day managing of the co-owner contract with the objective of supporting reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Serve as the Corporation’s primary technical representative and business unit lead for the assigned plants. Establish and maintain a strong, positive, active, professional, competent and credible presence at the plant site, and a good working relationship with plant personnel and management and with the other joint owner personnel. Identify and manage (or elevate for consideration as necessary) actions by the operating agent which are deemed to not be in the best interest of the corporation including operating, maintenance, and outage practices. This position assists in capital projects (including scope, schedule, and cost) knowledge sharing to support the Coal Assets Project Manager oversight of capital projects. Coordinate both internally and externally with other Oglethorpe Power departments, sister companies and other parties to ensure that the Corporation's overall mission is accomplished effectively and efficiently.
- Manage the Corporation’s technical interests at the assigned plants to ensure that the plant’s safety performance is above reproach, that its capacity is available for dispatch and is reliable, that plant performance and efficiency are high, that the assets are properly maintained, and that state and federal regulatory requirements are met. Attend the Scherer and Wansley Operating Committees.
- Manage the Corporation’s business interests at the assigned plants to ensure that the Corporation’s mission at the facility is fulfilled. Assist Coal Assets Project Manager in developing and executes business plans on a day-to-day basis (goals, strategies and budgets) which support the Corporation’s interests. Assist Coal Assets Project Manager in managing the Corporation’s contractual relationships with the operating agent or agents, including development of revisions to existing contracts, development of procedures for implementing contract terms, and oversight of contract performance.
- Assists in management of the Corporation’s financial interests at the assigned plants to ensure that production costs are optimized and competitive, and that unexpected costs are minimized. This includes performing monthly budget analysis for O&M and capital spend.
- Interacts with other OPC departments, sister companies, industry organizations, and other parties to ensure that the Corporation’s overall mission is accomplished efficiently and effectively; interact with the Member Systems as needed to promote good member relations and enhance member satisfaction. Provide plant tours as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related physical science, or equivalent experience. Thorough technical and business knowledge of the electric power industry, and coal and/or combined cycle plant operation, performance and economics, plus knowledge of federal and state regulatory requirements regarding fossil plant operations
Engineer: Six- nine years’ experience in coal and/or combined cycle plant operations and maintenance including power plant engineering, project management and/or line management experience at an operating commercial coal or combined cycle generating facility.
Senior Engineer: 10+ years’ experience in coal and/or combined cycle plant operations and maintenance including power plant engineering, project management and/or line management experience at an operating commercial coal or combined cycle generating facility.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Strong leadership skills and management abilities; assertive, results-oriented style; good interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communications abilities; good technical and business analytical skills; contract negotiation skills; good understanding of the energy business and risk management; PC fluency.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: None required. Professional Engineer certification is a plus.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.