The Turbine Operator will operate, regulate, and perform adjusting duties on pumped storage hydroelectric generating units, electrical equipment and auxiliaries. He/she will inspect and check the operation of assigned equipment and controls. The Turbine Operator will make necessary adjustments, settings, and repairs. He/she will train and instruct assigned associates. Under indirect supervision, the Turbine Operator will assist associates of higher classification and participate in required training programs. The position is responsible for providing reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Perform the mechanical and electrical switching operations necessary to remove or to return service station auxiliary equipment or substation equipment. The equipment operated includes disconnect switches, air and gas circuit breakers, valves, dampers, and control switches. Prepares, places or remove hold tags and locks, caution tags, and custody tags in accordance with established lockout/tagout procedures. Removal and return to service of equipment could involve entrance into confine spaces along with the physical requirements necessitating the ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Operate equipment including turbines, generators, auxiliaries, circuit breakers, motor control centers, and common facilities in accordance with the Oglethorpe Power Corporation's Rocky Mountain Plant standard operating procedures. Standard Operating Procedures include start-up, shutdown, normal operation, emergency, and abnormal operating conditions. Inspection and operation of equipment controls requires the discernment of colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Monitor and inspect turbine, generator, and auxiliary equipment performance by checking station recordings, indicating instruments, gauges, meters, temperatures, pressures, flow, and other process variables. Make necessary adjustments and repairs.
- Analyze and locate causes of trouble on mechanical and electrical equipment. Maintain safe and proper operation of plant equipment by making minor replacements, adjustments, and repairs necessary.
- Check with the operator being relieved for special orders and for station operating conditions including the review of operator logs.
- Maintain work area and equipment in a clean, orderly condition. Continually observe Oglethorpe Power’s safety rules and practices. Attend and participate in scheduled training and safety meetings.
- Direct and train assigned associates. Direct the activities of assigned associates.
- Must complete the Turbine Operator Training in an established time frame and maintain Turbine Operator Certification/Qualification as a condition of employment.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station.
Equivalent Experience: Two (2) years of college or technical school in a related technology and two (2) years of responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station; or
Successful completion of the Rocky Mountain Operator Training Program and two (2) years of responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (i.e., communication skills, systems knowledge, personal and professional characteristics):
1. For safety reasons, the ability to comprehend instruction from technical manuals, journals, technical literature, drawings, and other job related resource is required; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
2. Decision making capabilities.
3. Discernment of the colors red, green, amber, and blue.
4. Work in confined spaces and heights.
5. Lift weights up to 75 pounds.
6. Must pass the Basic Aptitude/Skills exam
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
Valid Driver’s License which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s Driver’s Qualification Program.