The Control Room Operator will perform assigned operating, regulating and adjusting duties on 3 pumped storage hydroelectric generating units, auxiliaries, and miscellaneous station equipment. He/she will perform assigned switching operations on station and substation equipment and direct the activities of other Operations Associates. The Control Room Operator will train and instruct assigned associates, participate in required training programs, and perform the above duties with minimal supervision. This position is also responsible for the monitoring of 14 combustion turbine units with the capability of remotely operating 10 of the units when on site Combustion Turbine Technicians are unavailable. The Control Room Operator will be responsible for providing reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Perform the necessary operating, regulating and adjusting duties to maintain proper output of hydroelectric generating units, proper control of water flows, pressures, temperatures, and levels; inclusive of the operation of hydraulic pump-turbines and electric generator-motors. Monitor other related auxiliary and accessory electrical equipment to ensure maximum efficiency, reliability, and output of the units. Monitor Plant gate security and the security of remote combustion turbine plants. Maintains the capability of remote combustion turbine plant operation when required. Inspection and operation of equipment controls requires the discernment of colors red, green, amber and blue.
- Maintain protective tagging system for the removal of equipment for repair and maintenance, and the return of equipment to system availability in accordance with the established tagging procedures. Removal and return to service of equipment could involve entrance into confine spaces along with the physical requirements necessitating the ability to lift 75 pounds.
- In the absence of the Shift Supervisor, the Control Room Operator assumes responsibility for the operation of the control room, power plant, and remote facilities.
- Inspect and observe plant instrumentation indications. Assemble and record, as required, electrical, water, air and oil data, and readings. Change dates, sign charts, and observe correct operation of recording instruments.
- Assists in keeping or maintaining chronological logs containing pertinent operating information and prepares specified related reports.
- Checks with the operator being relieved for special orders and operating conditions; review logs and make visual inspections of assigned panels and equipment.
- Operate the telephone lines for system and station calls and follows through to satisfactory completion, including the receiving of dispatching orders. Keeps supervisor informed of station and system conditions, and operates switches and controls to meet system requirements.
- Maintain work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition. Continually observe Oglethorpe Power Corporation safety rules and practices. Attend and participate in scheduled training and safety meetings.
- Direct and train assigned associates; oversee and direct the activities of other associates.
- Must complete the Control Room Operator Training in an established time frame and maintain Control Room Operator Certification/Qualification as a condition of employment.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: Six years of progressively responsible experience in operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station, of which two years were at a Turbine Operator level in a pumped-storage hydroelectric plant.
Equivalent Experience: Two years of college or technical school in a related technology and four years of progressively responsible experience in operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station, of which two years were at a Turbine Operator level in a pumped-storage hydroelectric plant; four years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a pumped-storage hydroelectric plant and completion of the Rocky Mountain Operator Training Program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- For safety reasons, the ability to comprehend instruction from technical manuals, journals, technical literature, drawings, and other job related resource is required; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- Decision making capabilities.
- Discernment of the colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Work in confined spaces and heights.
- Lift weights up to 75 pounds.
- Must pass the Basic Aptitude/Skills exam.
- Basic management/supervisory skills.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: Valid Driver’s License which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s Driver’s Qualification Program.
Unusual hours required of this position: Subject to be called out at any hour to address operating problems. May be assigned to a group of employees who operate a power plant on a rotating shift basis. These groups may change shift hours periodically to provide continuous service.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.