ABOUT FREEDOM HOUSE
Established more than 80 years ago on the core conviction that freedom flourishes in democratic nations where governments are accountable to their people, Freedom House is a non-partisan, non-profit organization that works to defend and expand freedom globally to help secure a world where all are free. Around the world, repressive regimes are preventing billions of people from exercising their fundamental rights. We identify and analyze threats to freedom, mobilize decision makers to respond to those threats and seize opportunities for progress, and support activists and organizations working to defend and expand freedom. We are dedicated to ensuring that the United States serves as a positive model of democratic practice at home and a consistent champion of freedom globally. By gathering authoritative data and leveraging our global networks, Freedom House is an unwavering beacon in protecting human rights and promoting democratic governance.
The Senior Program Associate will support an impactful and growing portfolio focused on religious freedom and supporting nascent diaspora groups in Asia. The Senior Program Associate is responsible for supporting program implementation of the assigned regional portfolio, including program and financial administration, logistical support, reporting, related research, and devote a large percentage of their time to supporting relationship management with target-community stakeholders. The Senior Program Associate will support other programs as circumstances and resources permit.
The Senior Program Associate will report to a Program Manager and will work closely with other members of the Freedom House’s Asia Programs team.
This position will work a hybrid schedule from the DC metropolitan region and will require occasional presence in the Washington, DC office.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the timely and compliant implementation of program activities under the regional portfolio and document program results.
- Devote substantial percentage of time to supporting outreach and communication with target community stakeholders in both English and the target-community language.
- Support the preparation of program deliverables, including work plans, quarterly reports, and other program materials.
- Support financial management for programs including maintaining program budget tracking systems, monitoring spending, preparing and tracking payment requests and preparing financial updates and reports.
- Draft contracts for consultants and vendors.
- Support the management of program logistics including organizing and maintaining records of meetings and events.
- Conduct program-related research.
- Develop and manage professional relationships with grantees and other local organizations, peer organizations, and donors.
- Organize and attend events and meetings related to Freedom House programs or regional interests, taking notes and reporting to the team.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, or related field; Master's degree preferred.
- At least two years of experience supporting or managing USG donor-funded projects, including supporting the management of grants and budgets and implementation of program activities, and preparing program reports.
- Verbal and written fluency in English and a Turkic language.
- A demonstrated interest in human rights and international development, including diaspora community development.
- Experience organizing meetings.
- Knowledge of specific beneficiary communities required.
- Verbal and written fluency in English and a Turkic language.
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated experience supporting the management and creation of budgets in Excel.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and USG grant-related compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining accurate databases and records.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to consistently produce timely quality work.
- Ability to independently manage and prioritize work and to multitask to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong understanding of and consideration for ensuring digital and physical security protocols are followed.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and exhibit unquestionable integrity, honesty, and forthrightness.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to respond promptly to inquiries in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to successfully work collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, external partners, and funders.
- Strong work ethic and desire for personal and professional development. Demonstrable desire for personal excellence. Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Deeply committed to nonpartisanship, exhibiting a strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House.
- Committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where all feel that they belong.
- Works as an effective team member, successfully balancing individual and team responsibilities.
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all background to apply. Diverse backgrounds relevant to the countries in which we have programming are a welcome asset.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including a 403(b)-retirement account, commuter benefits, flexible hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
- Salaries are commensurate with experience and based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization. Salary range for this role is $56,000 to $59,000 annualized, dependent upon experience.
- Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States independent from Freedom House sponsorship.
General Working Conditions:
- General working office environment or telework.
- May require long hours including evenings and weekends to complete tasks.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting or remote work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.