TITLE: Program Assistant
LOCATION: Khartoum, Sudan
Freedom House is seeking a Program Assistant for its Sudan Human Rights Initiative (SHRI) project. The project seeks to promote human rights and sustain the energy of emerging elements of Sudanese civil society. The Program Assistant will work in close coordination with Program Officers to provide administrative, logistical, financial, and programmatic support. This position will be based in Khartoum, Sudan and will report to the SHRI Project Manager.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Program Management Support
- Provide program and administrative support to the program team in the preparation of various program processes and documents, such as work plans, budgets, proposals and reports (including monitoring and evaluation reports), on program implementation arrangements and contracts.
- Assist the program team in reviewing and preparing documentation on the procurement approval forms for goods and services, contracts, and services completion report.
- Support the program team in the financial management of the project.
- Organize, compile, and process information from the donor as well as from the program team and keep track of the information through databases and e-filing, and ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Under the guidance of the Project Manager, assemble briefing materials and prepare PowerPoint and other presentations for the program.
- Identify sources and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, and other materials as required.
Knowledge-building and Knowledge-sharing Support
- Provide weekly updates on project activities to team members, and weekly updates to FH headquarters staff in consultation with the Project Manager.
- Develop and regularly update SHRI database and sub-grant tracking sheets.
- Monitor and evaluate implementation of project activities and assist in drafting and editing program reports in coordination with the Program Officers.
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Project Manager.
- Translation of Documents from Arabic to English and vice versa.
Administrative Support to the Program Unit
- Organize and coordinate logistical arrangement for meetings, conferences, roundtables, and workshops (obtaining quotes and booking venues, liaising with attendees, organizing travel, etc.), assist in preparation of meeting materials.
- Make travel arrangements for the program team and project staff, including preparation of travel requisitions and claims.
- Taking notes in internal and external meetings in both English and Arabic.
- Support Program Officer in preparation of presentation material/slides in PowerPoint for presentations for meetings/workshops and keep all papers ready for meetings.
- Coordinate and maintain relationships with vendors relevant to the implementation of program activities.
- Bachelor's degree in political science, law or other social sciences;
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working with civil society in Sudan related to human rights, youth engagement and advocacy (experience in East Africa region preferred);
- Knowledge of governance, transitional justice, and human rights issues in Sudan is desired;
- One year of experience in coordinating with multiple stakeholders including CSOs, NGOs, and activists in Sudan (experience in East Africa region preferred);
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience organizing logistics for conferences, workshops, and trainings;
- Demonstrated experience in supporting data collection and reporting;
- Knowledge of U.S. Department of State and USAID rules and regulations, and other donor approaches to civil society development;
- Knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and democracy promotion;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Arabic, both orally and in writing preferred;
- Ability to use productivity software such as MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint; and Microsoft Excel; and
- Experience in challenging environments and in modifying programming to fit evolving contexts.
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House
- Show good stewardship in the use of Freedom House resources
- Respond promptly to stakeholder needs, and solicit stakeholder feedback to improve service quality
- Exhibit excellent phone etiquette, pleasant demeanor, and ethical conduct
- Consistently use good judgment when dealing with all contacts and constituents
- Exhibit high work standards, adherence to procedures, and responsibility for assigned tasks
- Demonstrate strong desire for excellence, and desire to inspire others to attain professional excellence
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses; pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Work as an effective team member, successfully balance individual and team responsibilities
- Comply with all policies and procedures
- General working office environment in Khartoum, Sudan;
- Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks or attend events;
- Travel within Sudan outside of Khartoum;
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to complete assigned tasks outside the office;
- May involve work in regions that are remote and lack basic modern infrastructure, and in regions under U.S. travel advisory due to threats of terrorist attacks, civil unrest, kidnappings, disease outbreaks, etc.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter, with salary history and desired salary by Thursday, November 24, 2022:
Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above.
Only candidates who respond to these as well as the salary requirements will be considered for the position. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in Sudan.