The Media and Events Specialist will contribute to Freedom House’s public relations efforts, pursuing and coordinating media opportunities and other public speaking engagements for Freedom House experts, and advancing the organization’s mission in the US and around the globe. The position will work across the organization, coordinating closely with programs, advocacy, and research staff. The position will report to the Public Relations Director.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Day-to-day media relations: proactively pitch stories, field incoming press inquiries, and coordinate interviews for Freedom House experts
- Draft talking points, message maps, news releases and advisories, statements, media kits, fact sheets, emails, and other public relations materials as needed
- Help prepare Freedom House experts for media interviews by outlining logistical details, sending or preparing talking points, and providing information about the interviewer and outlet
- Investigate public speaking opportunities and help prepare Freedom House experts for opportunities with background research, key messages, and logistical details
- Help keep executives informed of breaking news and support responses to major events, including to current and potential human-rights crises
- Use media monitoring and analysis tools, such as Cision, Critical Mention, or Muckrack to track, measure and analyze the results of earned media outreach and prepare reports and presentations that help inform our strategy and tacticsWork closely with communication, advocacy, program, and research colleagues to ensure consistent use of narrative and key messaging across multiple audiences and contexts
- Develop, maintain, and nurture relationships with top-tier media in the US and around the globe
- Contribute to the overall strategy of the communication team
- Help build and maintain Freedom House media contacts database
- Help support social media channels as needed
Education and Experience:
- Approximately three years of relevant communications experience, preferably in agency, nonprofit, or public policy settings
- Media relations experience, including knowledge of media databases
- Knowledge of democracy, human rights, and foreign policy
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong writer and editor for print, web, social media, email
- Able to communicate complex topics effectively and concisely
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and diverse stakeholders
- Superb attention to detail and an ability to produce error-free work on tight deadlines
- Ability to take a balanced, principled stand on democracy issues independent of political party lines
- Must be a self-starter with professional maturity, sound judgment, and able to work well as part of a team
- Ability to thrive in a creative, fast-paced, and highly professional environment that emphasizes excellence, collegiality, and teamwork
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and submit a resume and a cover letter (in pdf format) that outline interests and qualifications for this position.
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including a 403(b)-retirement account, commuter benefits, flexible hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- Salaries are commensurate with experience and based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization.
- The range for this position starts at $50,000 and may extend to $65,000 based on experience and qualifications.
- Staff members are currently working remotely or partially remotely due to Covid-19, and Freedom House is continuing to evaluate when and under what circumstances staff will return to the office. This position will start completely or partially remote and may require mandatory relocation to Washington DC once circumstances allow (no earlier than July 1, 2022).
- Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States. Freedom House will not sponsor work visas.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.