Statement of Work
Mapping and Assessment of Civil Society Organizations in The Gambia Consultancy
Program: Promoting Rights and Justice in The Gambia Activity
Type: Assessment of civil society needs and capacity
Purpose: To identify and map the weaknesses and capabilities of civil society in The Gambia.
Period of Performance: August to October 2021
Freedom House is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and defending democracy and fundamental freedoms around the world. Freedom House has decades of experience supporting civil society, media, human rights, and democratic institutions throughout the world and in sub-Saharan Africa.
Freedom House seeks an expert for its Promoting Rights and Justice in The Gambia Activity to lead a mapping exercise and assessment of civil society needs and capacity.
Freedom House, in collaboration with the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI), is implementing the five-year Promoting Rights and Justice in The Gambia Activity, funded by USAID. The goal of the project is to strengthen the integrity of political accountability systems in The Gambia. The project will work towards this goal by achieving two objectives:
- Improve institutional capabilities within the justice sector
- Empower civil society organizations to safely and effectively exercise civil and political rights.
Work under this consultancy relates to Objective 2. To ensure that the project is driven and informed by local actors and organizations, , a four-month inception research period will be used to gather data to fine tune and adjust project activities. The final project design and activities will be adjusted on the basis of the research findings.
Research Purpose and Scope:
Under this consultancy, the selected candidate will work closely with Freedom House experts to design and refine a mapping assessment of the needs and capacity of civil society organizations in The Gambia. The research will encompass the following areas:
- Mapping the civil society landscape to identify civil society organizations, professional groups, community-based organizations, and other civic actors that are currently engaged in human rights and democracy promotion activities in the country
- Through consultations surface common organizational needs, challenges, capacity gaps, and top priorities of organizations and groups engaged in human rights and democracy promotion activities
- Desk research and consultations to define the legal and administrative frameworks for civil society engagement in human rights and democracy work at national and regional levels and the state institutions that regulate civil society at national and regional levels
- Collaboratively with Freedom House experts, illustrate possible entry points to mobilize similarly-minded actors to launch advocacy activities aimed at supporting the democratic transition;
All deliverables must be written and presented in English.
The main deliverables of this consultancy include:
- Clear descriptions of all data collection tools, as well as all raw data collected by Consultant.
- A brief inception report and comprehensive report outline prepared in consultation with Freedom House’s team. The inception report shall include: a detailed approach and methodology for the study; data collection and analysis activities and schedule; key institutions or stakeholders that will form respondents for the study.
- A draft report based on the final approved outline that includes preliminary findings, conclusions, and recommendations. Freedom House will review and submit comments and suggested revisions to be considered by the researcher prior to finalization.
- A final report, completed in the agreed upon format with Freedom House.
- Presentation of report findings to the broader project team
The report will include an executive summary, a description of the research approach and methodology, including limitations, key findings, conclusions and recommendations, appendices that contain the data analysis collection and analysis tools used.
What We Are Looking for:
The consultant should be proficient in conducting mixed research methods and analysis, with relevant experience in conducting assessments of civil society in West Africa. Experience in The Gambia highly preferred.
They must have:
- At least a master’s degree in public policy or administration, social or political science, or other related field with no less than five years of experience conducting research and evaluation
- Must have previous experience in conducting civil society needs assessments, preferably in West Africa; experience in The Gambia a plus
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the use of MS Office and other applications for online surveys and data analysis
- Must demonstrate abilities and experience in data collection and analysis
The consultant will report directly to the Freedom House programs team based in the U.S. and will coordinate extensively with the project Deputy Chief of Party in the development of inception report, tools, and in finalizing the results of the study. The consultant must provide all deliverables defined in these terms of reference.
At the request of Freedom House, the consultant may be required to deliver intermediate milestones (such as notes, outlines, drafts for review, etc.) in addition to deliverables that are listed.
Payment will be tied to successful completion of deliverables according to acceptable quality standards as determined by Freedom House.
Interested and qualified consultants or consultancy firms should submit their applications no later than August 1, 2021 and should include the following:
- Cover letter
- Detailed curriculum vitae (and capacity statement for institutions)
- Proposed budget and workplan for the assignment