Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit.
Freedom House seeks a Program Associate for a five-year project in The Gambia funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development. The project will build the capacity of civil society and the justice sector to respond to support the country’s transition to democracy.
The Program Associate will provide essential programmatic support, including financial, logistical, administrative, research, writing and data analysis assistance to the Freedom House Gambia program. He/she works collaboratively with staff in The Gambia, as well as in-country partners.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with project partners, including activists, CSOs, media actors, and institutional stakeholders
- Track and document program activities and impact to ensure all project objectives are met
- Coordinate logistics for travel, meetings, and events
- Monitor sub-grantee spending and assist in resolving programmatic and coordination issues
- Draft periodic program reports
- Assist with identifying consultants and vendors
- Monitor developments, particularly events pertaining to human rights, democracy, and transitional justice
- Work with supervisor to identify and engage potential partners
- Assist in drafting reports, budgets, and other programmatic documents
- Assist with data collection, verification, and reporting
- Develop effective professional relationships with partners, grantees, other local contacts, peer organizations, and donors
- Attend outside meetings and events as requested, and prepare notes for the team
- Assist in drafting press releases, articles, and briefs
- Bachelor's degree in political science, public/nonprofit management, or other social science field
- Demonstrated knowledge of and respect for international human rights principles and mechanisms
- Demonstrated commitment to the inclusion of marginalized groups, such as women, youth, people living with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people
- Understanding of international democracy support
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Knowledge of the local context, proficiency in local languages encouraged
- 1-3 years of relevant professional experience
- At least one year of experience providing administrative support on grants management; experience with USG funding preferred
- Experience developing and tracking budgets preferred
- Strong ability to independently plan, organize, prioritize work, and multitask to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Eagerness to think creatively about complex challenges
- Willingness to reflect, learn, and adapt
- Strong communication skills
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House
- Commitment to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all aspects of work
- Ethical conduct and ability to model integrity to colleagues
- High professional standards and takes responsibility for quality of work
- Understanding of personal strengths and areas for growth; continuously builds knowledge and skills
- Manage competing tasks on tight deadlines; know when to ask for assistance
- Able to work on sensitive issues such as human rights violations, violent extremism, torture
- Team oriented and thrives in a vibrant, collegial work atmosphere
- Internal: U.S. and Gambia-based employees at Freedom House
- External: Local partners, U.S. Embassy, Government of The Gambia, consultants, other implementers and donors, media, vendors, members of the general public, etc.
- General working office environment in Banjul, The Gambia;
- Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks or attend events;
- Travel within The Gambia outside of Banjul;
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to complete assigned tasks outside the office;
- May involve work in regions that are remote and lack basic modern infrastructure, and in regions under U.S. travel advisory due to threats of terrorist attacks, civil unrest, kidnappings, disease outbreaks, etc.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter, with desired salary.
Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above.