POSITION SUMMARY :
Freedom House is seeking to fill an OFFICE OPERATIONS MANAGER position. This exempt position is responsible for the efficient functioning of the Freedom House offices in Washington, DC and New York City, including: (1) development, implementation, and monitoring of office administrative procedures and support systems, and (2) coordinating office workspace, meeting space, equipment, and AV needs with department heads, employees, and outside contacts as needed.
The candidate best prepared for this role will be someone who looks forward to the challenge of designing and implementing a new, post-pandemic, model for the workplace.
This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the organization’s Chief Financial and Administrative Officer.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS :
Manage the Office Operations Department personnel and annual budget by:
- Directing and supervising the activities of the Receptionist and outside resources, establishing team and individual goals and objectives, monitoring, and reviewing performance, and ensuring functions are backed-up during staff absences to ensure continuous support for employees and guests.
- Preparing an annual budget of expenditures, both capital and operational. Monitor financial performance against the approved budget and, in consultation with the CFO, adjust plans and projections as needed.
- Monitoring appropriate use of vendors providing administrative services, such as courier delivery, overnight mail, stationery printing, etc. as well as the quality of the services being provided.
- Serving as the principal contact with building staff and vendors.
- Identifying and performing due diligence and recommending vendors for office supplies and equipment.
- In accordance with an approved delegation of authority, approving payment requests and managing related records for supply and equipment purchases.
Ensure that the organization’s office administrative and support needs are effectively met by:
- Managing office and workstation assignments of the DC staff. Includes developing and adhering to an office/workstation assignment protocol.
- Monitoring and resolving issues reported through the Office Operations ticketing system.
- Regularly walking the floor, being accessible to and communicating with staff, making note of items requiring attending but not identified via the ticketing system.
- Training new staff on office resources and procedures.
- Supporting the organizers of internal and external meetings/events with meeting room and AV setup.
- Managing office supply and inventory systems in DC and NYC.
- Managing central storage areas in the DC office.
- Coordinating with the IT department on matters of joint concern (printers, new staff setup, etc.).
- Performing light duty installation and maintenance tasks.
- Ensuring proper receipt and distribution of incoming mail and packages.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
Minimum 5 years of experience in a fast-paced office setting supporting 50 or more professional staff.
Technical Skills :
- Basic proficiency with the MSOffice suite of applications (Outlook Word, and Excel).
- Comfortable learning other software, such as keycard access and maintenance tracking systems.
- Able to address tier-1 level maintenance on copiers and other office equipment.
Personal Attributes and Characteristics :
- Maintains an awareness and understanding of democracy promotion.
- Ability to represent Freedom House professionally in conduct and personal appearance.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work product, both that which is produced by the individual and that of the team, often requiring the adherence to tight deadlines.
- Effective communication. Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong personal character, an individual who can maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and exhibits unquestionable integrity, honesty, and forthrightness.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a client-service focus, and ability to respond promptly to inquiries in a courteous and professional manner. Must be able to successfully work collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies, many of whom may have limited or no understanding of accounting.
- Strong work ethic and desire for personal and professional development. Demonstrates strong desire for personal excellence and can inspire others to achieve as well. Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Works as an effective team member, successfully balancing individual and team responsibilities.
PRIMARY CONTACTS :
- Internal: U.S. employees in DC and NY offices.
- External: Building staff, vendors, suppliers, and guests visiting Freedom House offices.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
General Working Conditions:
- General administrative office environment.
- Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks or attend events.
- Travel to work or vendor sites as required, estimated to be less than 5% of the time.
Physical Requirements :
This position functions in a normal office environment. The selected individual will work at a desk outfitted with computer, telephone, and file storage. During the workday, the individual will stand, walk, bend over, reach overhead, use hands, wrists and fingers to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type; individual may periodically need to lift and/or move file storage (up to 25lbs.) to waist height.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Freedom House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, and Sick Days
- Medical, dental, and vision with employer cost sharing
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- 403(b) retirement account
- Basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
- We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter.
- Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices.