Communications Specialist, Latin America and the Caribbean
Location: Washington, DC
Working in coordination with the Freedom House Communications Department, the Communications Specialist is an integral part of the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Program and is primarily responsible for the implementation of all communications-related activities under the program, with a primary focus on traditional media, social media, and developing communications strategy. . The position is based in Washington, DC and reports directly to the Communications Director (CD).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Communication strategy: in coordination with the Freedom House Communications Department, support the Program Director (PD) and Senior Program Manager (SPM), and CD in developing, implementing and adapting the LAC Communications and Outreach Plan to account for priorities and needs of LAC projects; define key performance benchmarks and analyze progress on a monthly basis; and provide ongoing advice on communication developments, trends and attitudes. Help expand Freedom House messaging to Latin American audiences in the United States.
- Earned media: identify opportunities to push Freedom House messages and research on LAC priorities in the media. Write press releases, talking points, pitch notes, pitch media and staff interviews.
- Social media management: create, administer and monitor LAC social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) following organizational guidelines and priorities guidelines; generate, edit and publish social media content (original text, images, infographics, etc.); repost and respond to followers; and monitor audience engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or other social science or related field, master’s degree preferred
- Three to five years of related work experience; at least one year of experience in LAC is preferred
- Knowledge of and commitment to the cause of advancing human rights and democracy
- Understanding of political, social and rights dynamics in LAC is required
- Experience developing and implementing strategic, multimedia campaigns in English and Spanish for a diverse audience is required
- Experience operating in closed environments is preferred
Skills and Competencies:
- Strategic thinking and excellent judgment in problem solving and decision-making
- Excellent writing, editing, formatting, research, and verbal communication skills in both Spanish and English
- Ability to navigate across multiple teams within Freedom House
- Demonstrated competency in best practices in social media outreach
- Proven ability to garner earned media, especially in LAC-based outlets
- Ability to use graphic design software, such as Adobe Creative Cloud and other communication tools
- Knowledge of international human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of international democracy promotion
- Ability to use communications tactics and strategies to advance advocacy goals
- Proven ability to multitask and manage time effectively to meet competing deadlines and manage priorities
- Skills in Webex, Zoom, Eventbrite, Google Meet, Jitsi, Pardot and other online event management and secure communications platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to persuade and facilitate cooperation between individuals with divergent views and to collaborate with others and successfully work as an effective team member
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and security regarding all aspects of work.
- Ability to represent Freedom House professionally in conduct and personal appearance
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to consistently produce timely and error-free work under tight deadlines
- Excellent timekeeping, attendance, and time management, and ability to work flexible schedule and be available outside of normal business hours for emergency work purposes
- Ability to adhere to and work within strict guidelines and procedures
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Eagerness to think creatively about complex challenges
- Willingness to reflect, learn, and adapt
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House
- Be proactive and willing to take initiative in finding practical solutions
- Show good stewardship in the use of Freedom House resources
- Exhibit ethical, professional conduct at all times
- Consistently use good judgment when dealing with all contacts and constituents
- Exhibit high work standards, adherence to procedures, and responsibility for assigned tasks
- Demonstrate the desire for excellence to inspire others to attain professional excellence
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses; pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Work as an effective team member and successfully balance responsibilities
- Comply with all policies and procedures
- Internal: Employees at Freedom House in the U.S. and abroad
- External: Partners, grantees, donors, consultants, other implementing organizations, human rights and civil society organizations, and media outlets, both in the U.S. and abroad
- General working office environment
- Some long hours including evenings and weekends to complete tasks or attend events
- Travel within Washington, D.C.; occasional travel outside of the U.S. may be required (less than 20% of time)
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel
Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time; constantly talk, hear and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over, reach overhead, use hands, wrists and fingers, to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
Disclaimer : This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.