Grants & Finance Officer
|Work Location:||Khartoum, Sudan|
|# of Openings:||1|
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit.
Freedom House is seeking a Grants & Finance Officer for its Supporting Sudan’s Democratic Transition project, an 18-month project funded by the U.S. Department of State. The project seeks to sustain the energy of emerging elements of Sudanese civil society and strengthen civic capabilities to influence existing and future political processes.
The Grants and Finance Officer manages Freedom House’s administrative functions of the project, maintains proper accounting records, and prepares expense reports, cash forecasts, and reports for donors and Freedom House headquarters. The Grants and Finance Officer also oversees small grants to local civil society organizations and ensures compliance with U.S. government policies. The position is based in Khartoum, Sudan and reports to the Freedom House Project Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Act as liaison with Freedom House headquarters finance and program staff on finance and grant compliance issues.
· Maintain the integrity and ensure accuracy of all financial data including reviewing and posting entries to General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
· In coordination with the Khartoum-based team, Project Director and headquarters program and finance staff, assist the financial and grant compliance component of sub-grant programs including assessment of sub-grant applications, assisting in creation of sub-grant documentation and monitoring of financial reporting.
· Conduct financial analysis and prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and statements.
· Assist with monitoring cash flow and managing Freedom House’s financial status.
· Ensure all accounting records and systems are in compliance with funder requirements as well as requirements of the Sudanese government.
· Ensure compliance with programmatic objectives, financial obligations and reporting requirements according to grant agreement.
· Assist with the effective functioning of the office support systems including negotiations with the landlord, vendors and other service providers in the most cost-effective manner.
· Assist with maintaining internal controls to ensure compliance with financial policies and regulations.
· Other duties as assigned by the Project Director.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, economics, or related field.
· Minimum 4 – 6 years of experience with grants compliance monitoring.
· Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Arabic, both verbally and in writing.
· Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word, and Quickbooks.
· Prior experience working with NGO accounting in a fast-paced finance department.
· Prior experience working with the financial and grant compliance aspect of sub-grant programs.
· Experience mentoring local organizations to build their financial and organizational capacity strongly preferred.
· Knowledge of Sudanese accounting and financial laws.
· Knowledge of USG financial and reporting requirements.
· Knowledge of all accounting principles, GAAP, and automated accounting systems.
· Ability to analyze financial information efficiently and accurately.
· Ability to effectively write reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms.
· Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
· General working office environment in Khartoum, Sudan;
· Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks;
· Travel within Sudan outside of Khartoum;
· Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to complete assigned tasks outside the office;
· May involve work in regions that are remote and lack basic modern infrastructure, and in regions under U.S. travel advisory due to threats of terrorist attacks, civil unrest, kidnappings, disease outbreaks, etc.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter, with salary history and desired salary.
Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above.
Only candidates who respond to these as well as the salary requirements will be considered for the position. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in Sudan.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results