Development Operations Manager
|Work Location:||Washington, DC or Remote|
|# of Openings:||1|
Development Operations Manager
Reports to: Vice President of Development, Freedom House
Freedom House monitors, strengthens, and defends democracy worldwide through programs that support frontline activists, research, and advocacy. We are leaders in identifying threats to civil liberties and political rights, and never in our 80-year history has our work mattered more. We seek to add a Development Operations Manager focused on development operations. This position reports to Freedom House's Vice President of Development.
Purpose of the Job
The Development Operations Manager will be an integral member of a growing development team and will lead development-related operational needs across the organization to help Freedom House meet its annual fundraising targets. S/he will be involved with all aspects of development operations, including managing the donor database (Salesforce); gift processing and related operations such as generating tax receipts and acknowledgments; supporting the research and qualification of donors; creating reports for the development team and executive leadership; supporting event and fundraising appeals and communications; and managing development systems. The Development Manager will work closely with the finance team on revenue reconciliation, financial projections, and provide support during the annual audit and budget process.
Qualified candidate will be proficient in best-in-class development office characteristics, and be familiar with all aspects of the fundraising cycle from identification of prospects through solicitation and stewardship. S/he will be highly organized, process-oriented, take initiative to develop and improve on systems to make them more effective, and have impeccable attention to detail. S/he will have demonstrated expertise in database management and financial tracking.
· Maintain accurate and current information for managing and stewarding donors using Salesforce and Pardot
· Create and manage campaigns, exports, and mailing lists for appeals and other donor communications
· Generate reports related to the planning, tracking, and reporting on revenue and projections
· Support development team to ensure activities are recorded on donor records, including donor communications and visits, call reports, follow-up actions, etc.
· Train database users as needed
· Process and record gifts received through Freedom House’s website, offline, and through third party platforms
· Produce donor acknowledgement letters and tax receipt, ensuring donor-centric personalization and high-quality communications
· Reconcile revenue with finance department
· Lead the prospect clearance process including the identification and research on potential donors, and managing pipeline and review meetings
· Analyze and report on fundraising activities and events, and uses the insights to inform future strategies
· Be a liaison and collaborator for colleagues at all levels of the institution, serving as trusted and credible resource for communications, finance, operations, program and executive teams.
· Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures and guides for Development systems and processes
· Maintain Development’s presence on Freedom House’s website and support fundraising efforts in other institutional communication channels
· Manage third-party vendors and contracts related to development operations
· Provide in-person staffing at development events as needed
Other duties/projects as assigned.
· Experience in development operations, advancement services, database administration or a related field. Experience using Salesforce as a fundraising tool is preferred.
· System- and process-oriented with excellent analytical skills and the ability to think creatively about business problems and development concrete, realistic solutions
· Comfortable serving as support to senior executives as they manage fundraising prospects and donors
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including interacting with people with a wide range of political and social views. Skilled in establishing trusted partnerships throughout the organization and using expert judgment when dealing with internal and external constituents
· Experience in training others on database needs, systems, and processes
· Superb attention to detail, balanced against consistent production of timely, error-free work
· Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
· Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
· Strong capability to take on additional tasks when required, work independently without supervision, and to coordinate the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet objectives in a timely manner
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a related field
· Interest in human rights and democracy, and a dedication to the organization’s mission
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
Physical Requirements: Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time. Constantly talk, hear, and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over; reach overhead; use hands, wrists, and fingers to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
General Working Conditions: General working office environment. Some long hours, including evenings and/or weekends as reasonable, to complete essential tasks or attend important events and to be responsive in a timely manner to emergency assistance requests. Travel to event and meeting sites. Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. Read more about the application process and search answers to common questions here. Freedom House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and professional development.
Interested in learning more about our current work? Keep up with us on social media: Twitter @FreedomHouse, Facebook at FreedomHouseDC
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results