Research Associate, Research and Analysis
Location: New York, NY
Founded in 1941, Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of democracy around the globe. Our Research and Analysis division produces cutting-edge reports on topics such as the state of democratic institutions, key tactics employed by modern authoritarians, and how the internet is restricted and increasingly manipulated to undermine human rights, particularly of society’s most vulnerable.
Freedom House is seeking a dynamic, detail-oriented candidate to support Freedom House’s flagship analysis on political rights and civil liberties, Freedom in the World, and our annual internet freedom study, Freedom on the Net. This is a full-time position based in New York City, reporting to the Director for Research Operations.
- Develop and train a network of regional and thematic experts and act as their primary point of contact
- Systematically coordinate the research process for a set of assigned countries/regions for the annual reports, managing the work of consultants throughout the various stages of the report writing and editing process to ensure timely submission of drafts and scores according to Freedom House methodologies
- Track democracy, human rights, and internet freedom developments in assigned set of countries or regions
- Perform substantive fact-checking, editing, rewriting, and proofreading of reports on internet freedom, many authored by non-native English speakers. In the process of editing, supplement the reports with own research
- Prepare travel and event logistics for expert workshops, both virtually and in-person. For in-person meetings, tasks include booking flights and accommodation for participants, coordinating with venues, managing complex scheduling, and other tasks
- Contribute to the design and drafting of analytical pieces, social media content, data analysis, and infographics
- Analyze data and prepare charts, graphics, and other support materials for publication
- Work closely with other members of the Research and Analysis team to ensure that all research outputs adhere to the highest standards of quality and analytical integrity
- Assist with funding proposals, donor reports, and monitoring and evaluation of the project’s impact
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field, plus a minimum of two years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of advanced education and experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in democracy, human rights and internet freedom around the world
- Background and strong interest in a specific region of the world, especially Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and/or Sub-Saharan Africa
- Comfort working with limited supervision on long-term tasks, finding solutions to problems as they arise, and taking ownership of your work
- Superb attention to detail and an ability to produce error-free work on tight deadlines
- Outstanding skills in MS Office and database management and familiarity with advanced formulas in Excel/Google Sheets
- Outstanding organizational skills and a keen desire to learn to use project management tools such as Asana, Trello, Airtable, and Excel
- Proven ability to digest large quantities of information for drafting elegant and concise summaries
- Some experience with using quantitative data and qualitative information to create infographics and other communication materials for publication
- Some experience with donor reporting, monitoring & evaluation, and financial reconciliations
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and/or your community
- Positive, team-oriented attitude and commitment to building trust-based relationships with colleagues
- Excellent emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills for communicating with diverse audiences, ranging from at-risk activists to senior government officials
- Diversity makes our research stronger. Threats to democracy and the negative effects of digital technology disproportionately impact marginalized populations, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, religious minorities, and the LGBT+ community. Freedom House centers these experiences in its work. We actively seek and strongly encourage applications from people with lived experience relating to our work.
- Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States.
- The hired candidate is expected to begin in April 2021.
- Salaries are commensurate with experience and based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization. Research associate roles start at $50,000 and will be non-negotiable to ensure equity.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including a 10-percent employer match program for your 403(b) retirement account, commuter benefits, flexible summer hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- The role may require light domestic and international travel to participate in conferences, briefings, and workshops.
- Given the Covid-19 outbreak, this will begin as a remote position with mandatory relocation to New York City once circumstances allow.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Directions to Apply
For security purposes, please upload a resume (1-2 pages) and a cover letter (max. 1 page) as a PDF describing your qualifications and interest in the position. There is no need to fill out the application system’s additional questions. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until March 8, 2021. The recruitment process will take place from March 1-19, 2021.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.