The Finance Officer/Senior Finance Officer will be part of a six person team managing the Human Rights Support Mechanism (HRSM), a $300-million, five-year USAID-funded Leader with Associates mechanism that supports approximately 30 ongoing democracy and human rights programs around the world. The HRSM Finance Officer will play a key role on a highly competent program management team by keeping HRSM funding actions and cooperative agreements in compliance with the Finance Department’s policies, procedures and systems, and by supporting a coalition of dynamic partner organizations in implementing multiple awards under the mechanism.
The Finance Officer will use their experience and detailed knowledge of USAID practices and regulations to support Freedom House and sub-grantee projects, ensure smooth reporting and accounting procedures across internal and external teams, and improve HRSM procedures for tracking awards and for working with our partners from program design to closeout. The Finance Officer will research financial and legal compliance processes for HRSM and assist the HRSM programs team in addressing outstanding compliance questions. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the HRSM Senior Program Manager (SPM) who reports to the HRSM Technical Director.
- Support the HRSM programs team by providing technical and administrative support from pre-award stages through close-out of grants;
- Implement all grants-related policies and procedures under HRSM in compliance with funder requirements;
- Coordinate with consortium members to manage grants, sub-award and contractual procurement, financial review and closeout procedures under HRSM;
- Help programs staff formulate responses to USAID regarding grants, contracts, agreements, and other compliance requirements under HRSM;
- Review grants and sub-grants to ensure that they are expended in compliance with donor requirements;
- Review and process expense reports, financial reports, and payment requests prepared by program team members for compliance with Freedom House and donor requirements;
- Maintain and update budget trackers and provide budget analysis to the HRSM SPM and Technical Director and USAID AOR for program expenditures monthly;
- Complete and review Grant Approval Request Form (GARF) packages for accuracy, completeness, and compliance;
- Draft and review contracts, letters of agreement, and other contractual documents for partners and vendors;
- Assist with review award documents and modifications for programs under HRSM;
- Draft award documents and modifications for programs under HRSM;
- Provide standard and ad hoc reports in user friendly formats to authorized personnel as needed;
- Monitor applicable federal regulations for changes and updates to grants, contracts and agreements;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
In your cover letter, be sure to explain how you meet these qualifications. Candidates without the requisite experience in non-profit financial management will not be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field;
- Training in accounting and USAID policies and procedures (formal certification/degree required for Senior level).
- Minimum three years of grants management, finance, accounting, or related experience (five years minimum for the Senior Finance Officer level);
- Minimum two years of experience working with non-profit program management, budgeting and accounting (three years minimum for the Senior Finance Officer level);
- At least one year of experience working on USAID or U.S. Department of State cooperative agreement awards desired (required for Senior Finance Officer level);
- Knowledge of grants administration, and ability to interpret grants-related governmental documents and accurately respond to them;
- Prior experience working on program support for civil society organizations is desirable.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in work outputs, including written communication;
- Advanced Excel skills (finalists will be asked to take an Excel test);
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Ability to independently track and manage multiple tasks and complete them quickly.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.