Program Specialist (Legal/Access to Justice)
|Work Location:||Kampala, Uganda|
|# of Openings:||1|
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit.
Freedom House is implementing a three-year, USAID-funded Uganda Rights and Justice Activity (RAJA). The program seeks to: (1) challenge laws restricting civic and political activism; (2) push for laws that protect the rights of vulnerable groups, such as women, children, youth, and people with disabilities; (3) provide human rights defenders (HRDs) with tools and skills to ensure that they can carry out their work safely and securely; and (4) direct vulnerable groups, particularly child victims of sexual violence, to legal aid.
Freedom House is seeking a Program Specialist (Legal/Access to Justice) to support our Kampala office in its mission to: (1) assist citizens in understanding, using, and shaping the law to exercise their civil and political rights in a safe and secure manner; (2) support members of vulnerable populations who are victims of human rights abuses in accessing justice, protection, and referral services; and (3) carry out programmatic, administrative, and financial functions according to the regulations, policies, and procedures of USAID, the Ugandan government, and Freedom House. This position will be based in Kampala, Uganda and will report to the Chief of Party.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Monitor and evaluate program implementation to ensure completion of program objectives.
· Work closely with the Chief of Party to facilitate learning from program data and appropriate adaptation of activities.
· In coordination with the Chief of Party, Advocacy and Civil Society Specialist, Senior Grant Manager, and headquarters program and finance staff, assist with activity planning, logistics, budgeting, and procurements.
· Conduct rule of law, human rights, and access to justice analyses to include in detailed monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
· Support activity partners and groups, including arranging trainings, reviewing reports, preparing legal analyses/briefs, and providing other forms of technical support.
· Support the team and partners to ensure programmatic compliance with USG rules and regulations, as well as with Freedom House financial policies.
· Coordinate with partners and Freedom House staff to ensure key deliverables are met in a timely manner.
· Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
· Bachelor’s degree in Law, a Master’s Degree in Law (specializing in human rights) is preferred.
· Minimum 3-5 years of experience in rule of law, access to justice, and human rights programming, particularly experience in implementing USG/USAID projects.
· Prior experience working in NGO programming.
· Prior experience working with and/or supporting civil society and government of Uganda ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs).
· Knowledge of the Ugandan rule of law, human rights, and access to justice landscape.
· Knowledge of USG/USAID reporting requirements.
· Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to effectively write reports, maintain documentation related to programming, and complete required programmatic forms.
· Demonstrated experience in civil society engagement in Uganda.
· Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter by September 28, 2020. Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that the gross annual salary range for this position is $35,000-$40,000 (USD).
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results