Position: Grants and Finance Officer
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Freedom House seeks a Grants and Finance Officer for the Burkina Faso Human Rights and Access to Justice Program, a three-year project in Burkina Faso funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development. The project will build the capacity of civil society and human rights institutions to respond to the urgent human rights threats faced by Burkina Faso as a result of the breakdown of the rule of law caused by violent extremism and violations committed by multiple actors.
The Grants and Finance Officer manages Freedom House’s administrative functions for the Burkina Faso human rights project, maintains proper accounting records, and prepares expense reports, cash forecasts, and reports for donors and Freedom House headquarters. The Grants and Finance Officer also manages small grants to local civil society organizations and ensures compliance with U.S. government policies. The position is based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and reports to the Freedom House Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as liaison with Freedom House headquarters finance and program staff on finance and grant compliance issues, including the project’s small grants portfolio.
- Maintain the integrity and ensure accuracy of all Freedom House project financial data including reviewing and posting entries to General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
- Conduct financial analysis and prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and statements.
- Monitor cash flow and manage Freedom House’s financial status.
- Ensure all accounting records and systems are in compliance with funder requirements as well as requirements of the Burkina Faso government.
- Ensure compliance with programmatic objectives, financial obligations and reporting requirements according to grant agreements.
- Manage preparation of an annual audit required by local authorities.
- Oversee effective functioning of the office support systems, including negotiations with vendors and other service providers, in the most cost effective manner.
- Maintain internal controls to ensure compliance with financial policies and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, economics, or related field.
- Minimum 4-6 years of demonstrated, progressive experience with grants compliance monitoring and financial systems management.
- Experience and familiarity with US government projects, grants or processes strongly preferred.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in French and English, both verbally and in writing.
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word, and Quickbooks.
- Prior experience working with NGO accounting in a fast-paced finance department.
- Knowledge of Burkina Faso accounting and financial laws.
- Knowledge of all accounting principles and automated accounting systems.
- Ability to analyze financial information efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to effectively write reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
Attributes and Characteristics
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to Freedom House's mission.
- Show good stewardship in use of Freedom House resources.
- Respond promptly to stakeholder needs, and solicit stakeholder feedback to improve service quality.
- Exhibit professional conduct at all times, with a pleasant demeanor, good humor, positive attitude, adaptability to change, and ethical conduct.
- Consistently use good judgment in all circumstances.
- Comply with all applicable policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate strong desire for excellence, and desire to inspire others to attain professional excellence.
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses, pursue training and development opportunities, and strive to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Work as an effective team member, successfully balance individual and team responsibilities
- Comply with all policies and procedures.